{The Pick Pair Inspired by Philanthropy}

From the age of 7 I have been an avid follower of Town and Country magazine. My glamorous grandmother, Jan Jan, always in pearls, three inch heels {until age 80, I'm sure} and her signature "pocket books" {not purse} was the person that listened to my cries and gave me my first subscription. As travel would take us away from the states, JanJan always had a stack waiting for me, at her house, upon return.

A favorite topic, as I became older, was the Special Philanthropy Issue. My parents have devoted much of their lives selflessly to people in Africa and I enjoyed reading about other individuals that sought to do something with their lives, that also makes a difference.

The June 2009 issue has inspired me the most recently. Featuring Zainab Salbi, the founder of Women for Women International {womenforwomen.org} in the article A Champion for Change pg 102.
Salbi's organization empowers business-minded women across the globe, who have the desire to succeed but lack the resources. Investing in women, is investing in the future of the world. What an amazing and inspiring concept. The article struck home when I read that Lagos, Nigeria {where I was raised} was the location for the debut of a program that is part of the Women for Women Organization. Dina Habib Powell, of Goldman Sachs, oversees the program, whose goal is to seek out female leadership with a vision, and mentor them thru the process, to a successful in business. "Someone with passion and drive," explains Powell, "but also a woman who already has an existing business with employees. We believe that's the real opportunity for a multiplier effect."

Both Powell and Salbi have led amazing lives and the partnering of such minds is inspiring. I am encouraged by an article like this. There will always be opportunities for us to make a difference, rather than pass them up, I challenge everyone to say yes. As a member of Women for Women International, I encourage you to join, be part of a program that makes a difference in the lives of women all over the globe!